homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cherry question

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cherry question
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:33:44 -0500

I don't like cherries and don't know anything about growing them, but; in cold weather areas like yours, apples should grow well. I have seen old heirloom type apple trees with apples about the same size as cherries and real thorny (I mean dangerously thorny) limbs. They trees are not large like a regular apple or peach tree. They were called 'hog apples' , but i don't know their real name; but they were tasty....

I have apple trees (some heirloom), peach and pear trees. I want to add a couple cherry trees; I prefer sweet cherries, but I think I'm a little too far north. I've hear of some pie cherries coming out of Canada that are as sweet as sweet cherries, but I can't track down a source.

The tree you describe sounds like a Hawthorn tree; it's related to apples. I have a couple on my property, but they are old and not producing well. The fruit are called "haws".

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA