homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:27:54 -0800 (PST)

Isn't that the truth...  I figured it's a big learning curve, and while not
only learning, but to tide over between the crop losses, I'll continue to
stock some store bought food.  Otherwise I'd probably have to count on eating
only a few different foods for a year... LOL.

You wouldn't believe how fast things dry here, including my skin.... I took
seeds from an eggplant yesterday as an experiment, they are dry on the
outside already.  When I first moved here the humidity was at times below 20%

Wind I think will be a challenge at times.  I found a huge stack of 4'x4'
crates (for free).  Had my brother cut one down to a more manageable
height... for starters to start compost.  And then I started to think if I
lined the inside a bit with something to keep the compost from slipping out
the cracks, it would be perfect for veggies, as I could use the sides as wind
breaks.  Another experiment to conduct....