homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:56:08 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

The difference is engineering a life, working toward a life, that requires very little cash. That means anticipating the emergencies you outlined above and providing for them. For instance, I know I live in a place and under such trees where the roof can be damaged. So as not to face roof repairs I sheeted the roof with 1" planks braced to the 2x6 (rough, so actual 2" by 6" or larger) trusses and then that covered with enameled metal roofing. It would take a very great deal to damage it.

We know the cow might die any time, not that there is anything wrong with her, but animals do that. We depend on that cow, so fifteen years ago we plied our trades enough to put back a 401COW fund. It has been sitting there untouched for a decade and a half but knowing that at any time we might lose her, we prepared for it.

Likewise since you asked, the county allowed us to put in an 800 gallon septic with 300 feet of line. But instead we put in a 1200 gallon tank with 900 feet of line for the express purpose of not having to dig it up later. It's not fool proof but it increases our odds. And at the time only cost about 15% more. While I'm glad to have it, people have lived without modern septic systems for centuries. It's a modern luxury for which I was perfectly happy to muck with the modern world to obtain.

Continual outflow of cash is a mindset that financial world is all too happy for us to think is just the God given way of things. It isn't.