homestead - [Homestead] Eggs

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Eggs
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:00:59 -0500

I'm getting eggs again, so it appears that the production problem was
4-legged and not water related. Ms. Possum was stealing my eggs. This
may not be a popular thing to say, but I am glad that problem is handled
because as the egg supply dwindled, I wouldn't want her looking at my
chicks. With 5 hens, I am getting two or three eggs a day, 50%
production less than 2 weeks from the shortest day of the year..I'll
take that.

Today is Day 11 of Hatch #2. Last time, I candled on Day 10, so my
friend came up today and we candled eggs this afternoon. Of the 28 eggs
in the 'bator, 17 had a G on them, meaning those were the eggs I got
from my neighbor. The others had the date of collection from my own
coop. All of my own eggs appeared to be developing, but of George's 17,
9 were bad and 2 more seemed questionable. We removed the 9 and took
them out to the chicken coop. Upon breaking the eggs, our suspicions
were confirmed that these eggs were not viable. I believe, that G did
not collect eggs for two days, and they froze overnight, making them
non-viable. So, now I have 19 eggs in the incubator, and probably two
of them are not viable..we will see.

Chicken count..

5 hens and one mixed RIR rooster
8 mutt straight runs that are two months old
19 chicks that are 17 days old

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda