homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kuntsler , new commentary, super-inflation

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kuntsler , new commentary, super-inflation
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 06:29:36 -0800 (PST)

As James said in his reply to you, agricultural products, today; much like
everything; is only the end result of a business model. When the model
fails, all results fail until a new model begins to function.

If you don't agree, as you say, that a "new economy" or "new world" will come
to pass; then what do you think 'will' happen. People can't just 'sigh and
pay it' if there is no "it" and they have no money to 'pay'.
That is wehat is so frightening about the possibilitites of this economic
unraveling.

I know of very little actual 'industry', where things are manufactured to
fulfill a need; in this city. This is the fifth largest city in the country.
You live near Philadelphia, the 6th or 7th (between them and Dallas, I
think)largest city in the country. What is made in Philly that fulfills a
need?

--- On Fri, 11/28/08, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> Date: Friday, November 28, 2008, 6:49 AM

> I've been saying for a long time that this "something-for-nothing" trend
> can't last. I especially like: "To be specific about this new economy,
> we're going to have to make things again, and raise things out of the
> earth, locally, and trade these things for money of some kind that we earn
> through our own productive activities." Some of us always thought that's
> the way is was supposed to be. This 'new world' would be the world we
> already live in.
>
> I sadly don't agree, though, that this is likely to come to pass. Our food
> system, for all it's faults, supplies an abundance of cheap food. As oil
> and gas get more expensive again, food prices will go up more. People will
> sigh and pay it. The silver lining is the it might give small
farmers a chance to make a living wage and still be competitive with