homestead - [Homestead] We looked at the tractor...

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] We looked at the tractor...
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:21:24 -0500

...this morning.

It was 26 degrees and snowing, so you could say the diesel engine was
started cold. In fact, it took a couple tries to get it going but we
attributed that to a cold diesel engine. [I recall cars in MN that were
diesel how they had to be primed first before starting and my own car
(gasoline engine) needed a heat block attached to the oil pan in bitterly
cold weather.]

We heard some slight knocking but it went away quickly. Also there was white
smoke at the very start (could that be from condensation in the tube?) that
turned black after four seconds. The oil did not have any scum or milkiness
to it. It did not smell like it was burning and felt smooth.

The gears and hydraulics all work. The implement attachments all work but
are rusted. Current owners have kept the tractor in a shed, but only owned
it for four years.

The tires do not look to be in good shape, they are riddled with cracks, the
rubber looks like it's beginning to fall apart. The rims looked okay, some
rust but not bad. New tires would be needed soon.

I called around and learned that new tires will run nearly $580-$640
depending on which tread we use on the front tires.

Thoughts?

Lisa