homestead - [Homestead] Local chicken - 1/4 pound egg

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Local chicken - 1/4 pound egg
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:12:08 -0800 (PST)

This is from my local paper.'says an egg this big is rare. There is a pic on
the paper's site, if you click on the link. I don't know if it is as unusal
as the article reads...............bobford

Southwest Valley

Tolleson chicken lays rare 4-ounce egg

by Jonathan J. Cooper - Nov. 21, 2008 08:42 AM

The Arizona Republic

Stan Wilkinson thought his son was pulling his leg when he brought a large
egg in from their Tolleson backyard chicken coop.

At 4 ounces, the egg is almost twice the size of a standard egg.

Wilkinson is no amateur egg man. He grew up on a farm with thousands of
chickens and he's seen his fair share of eggs.
"I never saw an egg this big," he said. "I've never heard of anything like
this before."

Wilkinson is unsure which of his 11 hens laid the giant egg. He thinks it was
the largest, a Japanese silky named Kika.

He usually collects the eggs from his chicken coup each night and has
scrambled eggs every morning, he said.

A chicken expert said the 4-ounce egg is rare.

Hickman's Family Farms, a Buckeye-based egg producer with 3 million chickens,
occasionally sees eggs too big to fit in the company's largest cartons, said
Clint Hickman, vice president of sales.

He said the egg might contain more than one yolk or no yolk at all.
Abnormally large eggs are usually produced by the oldest and youngest hens,
he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/swvalley/articles/2008/11/21/20081121swv-bigegg1121.html