homestead - Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:13:16 -0500

Ron makes the gravy as I am gravy challenged. Tonight he was reading about growing cilantro. I do many role that men normally would do..Homesteading will definitely be a gender bendering experience.

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
"Issues" and "Gender" should only come into play when they make practical
sense.

Gender roles are a luxury that the subsistence farmstead can ill afford. I have delivered babies, I sew, my daughter is teaching me to knit with four needles, I do half the cooking, etc. In our kitchen any one of us can hand off the ladel to any other one and the meal goes on unabated.

In the old logging camps the great brawny bearded men traditionally spent their free time knitting socks.

James