homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bark Beetles Kill Millions of Acres of Trees in West

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bark Beetles Kill Millions of Acres of Trees in West
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:03:52 -0800

What type pines do you have? Out here we have Ponderosa and Gray pines. We've lost a few to the beetles and some of the Doug Firs. In fact, DH is cutting one down this week.

However, the Ponderosa and Gray pines fall over healthy or not. Sometimes it makes absolutely no sense at all. We've seen then hit the ground when it hasn't rained a lot and there isn't any wind. We got rid of all of them that were around the house.

However, we sold all of them over 12" to the local mill.

I don't think the beetles are bothering the Gray pine. I wonder if it is because they are actually a hard wood (same hardness factor and BTUs of oak).

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>

Here on the 12 forested acres all the pines except two are long gone. If I remember correctly it has been about 8 to 10 years ago. It cost me about 600 dollars to have (two) of the 60 or more foot tall ones felled. Since the hillside is so steep and the trees were only 6 feet from the house, it was done professionally. The rest have just fallen on their own. One fell and blocked the road as well as the driveway. Here in our area as soon as a tree comes down on the road all the neighbors come with chainsaws and help get if off the road.
It is always heart stopping when a tree falls as it is usually a slow process, but I usually have a few seconds to send my prayers out for it to fall away from the house.
Around here the hill and hollers make it hard to tell what direction to look.
You can hear me asking them to keep their roots strong and deep whenever I leave the house. Quite a bit of my time is spent talking to the trees. :)))
Here about the insects were called pine beetles, wonder if they are the same as out West?