homestead - [Homestead] Glycerin home remedy medicine

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Glycerin home remedy medicine
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:32:37 -0500

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycerin.html
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/glycerin.html
http://www.cleaning101.com/oleo/whygly2.cfm

A few days ago, Lynda suggested I use a glycerin pack for my spider
bite. I did. Like I told her in a private email, I don't know if what
I am seeing is a result of antibiotics, multiple home remedies, or just
time, but for whatever the reason, the glycerin pack is helping.
After only one pack, the bite opened and started draining the wound.
For two days now, the glycerin has kept the site opened and it is still
draining. I still have inflammation and pus, but the wound is 500%
better and while the inflamed area is still the size of an egg, it is
less painful.

So today, I decided to try to reason why this is working...
I knew that glycerin was an emollient, but I had been thinking that it's
hygroscopic nature pulled moisture from the air, which it does.
However, it makes total sense that it you cover a glycerin cotton ball
with a bandage, cutting off its air supply, then it pulls moisture from
the skin, or in this case, the wound because water will take the easiest
route. The water that it pulls is what we call pus. So, the glycerin
moistures the skin to keep it from drying out, pulls the excess
water/pus from the area. Like with honey, the sugars thwart bacterial
growth. It is derived naturally, and in that process, you also get the
benefit of tocopherols, AKA Vit E, which also helps healing.

With all of this in consideration, Lynda's 'folk remedy' holds water<g>.
It explains how the glycerin acts as a drawing agent for toxins and
inflammation, a drawing agent and a lubricant for splinters, and a
healing agent for general skin ailments.

My infection hasn't healed yet, but I'm impressed with glycerin so far.
Thanks Lynda.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

  • [Homestead] Glycerin home remedy medicine, EarthNSky, 11/17/2008