homestead - Re: [Homestead] Half of U.S. "on the dole"

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Half of U.S. "on the dole"
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 11:23:55 -0800

Well, there is also talk about putting a cap on who can get SS. Right now you have folks who are millionaires collecting SS. Plus you have a whole bunch of folks who should never have collected to begin with. Some weeding is needed!

They did pass a law, which they never followed through on btw, that just because you're an alcoholic or a drug addict and can't hold a job doesn't make you disabled. But they haven't purged the rolls. Plus, there is "clinically depressed" and there is "clinically depressed" and as far as I'm concerned, if you can attend college full-time, you aren't disabled. And I mean university, not your local community college! If you can take the stress of a full class load, then you can take the "stress" of working at Micky D's or where ever!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Gene, like you I've read info and commentary from both sides of the SS debate. I just don't see how two and a half people wotking at McDonalds, Target, the local school, and even the doctors at your hospital, are going to be able to each pay enough to SS to make it continue.

There will have to be another substantial tax. That is not 'tweaking'. That is 'social engineering". That is turning and insurance/retirement program which is what SS now is, into the countries largest 'welfare' program. No 'tweking' can make a 'pyramid scheme' ultimately pay off for everone. The math can never work......bobford