homestead - Re: [Homestead] Half of U.S. "on the dole"

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Half of U.S. "on the dole"
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 12:02:14 -0700

SS going bust would cause a societal meltdown.
Yes. And that is why it is not going to happen.

Gene, I think it's time to revisit this logic. The same thing was being said
in '05 about the housing boom.

James, the housing bust and the subsequent Wall Street chaos and loss is not causing societal meltdown.

. . . The government was powerless (and clueless).

That is debatable. I would say the politicians were asleep at the wheel.

Same thing applies to SS. If economic realities make SS infeasible, it
doesn't matter how big a voting block the geezers are, it doesn't make any
difference what social unrest it causes, it will happen anyway.

If Social Security fails it will be because the United States of America has gone bankrupt. If you wish to entertain that scenario, go for it. Life is too short for me to depress myself by focussing on such an improbable disaster.