homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wild water

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wild water
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:47:08 -0500

bob ford wrote:
There are youtube videos , from dowsers, that show you how. Credible ???
...bobford

I don't know anything about youtube, too slow here to get it, but dowsing is easy to learn. Makes locating wires and pipes easy, as well as water.

I had a guy out here to dowse for my lower well, a dug well. He said good water at 18 feet, Hopto took a bite at 17', nothing, soil not even wet. Took another bite, almost didn't get the machine moved back fast enough to avoid it falling into the hole, had to get a longer-armed machine down here to finish the job. Put in the gravel and 4' casings and presto, mundo! Over!

I asked the guy to teach me, and for the price of a bottle of decent scotch (his call) he did. I found it easy, some have more difficulty, but I'm a person fairly much "in tune" with weather, terrain (have a strong sense of place), light patterns, etc. He seemed to think folks with those traits find it easier. Give it a go, you may be surprised at how easy it it. Sometimes, now that I recognize the feeling, I can just lay my hand flat, palm down and feel it.

SusanJane, in Maine