homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tax burden perspective

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tax burden perspective
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:41:17 -0800

What about if the Feds didn't give a dime and simply stopped taking as much from states and let states figure it out themselves. The Feds should be maintaining a military and some regulatory agencies that actually did their job instead of being in the hands of the companies they are supposed to regulate. Good example is the Food Pyramid where the sugar industry gets to say how much sugar is good.

By the by, the Feds already do what is called Block Grants and the states are supposed to spread the wealth. It doesn't work any better than the individual grants did.

Why can't the Fed give States a grant every year, and the amount could
be based on the state's population? It could kind of be a head tax in
reverse. Then, the state could decide how best to use it, whether they
want to pay teachers more, hire more police, build museums, or whatever.
It could be made to be very simple dole for the Fed, I would think.
It could totally eliminate pork barrel spending... If a state wants more
money, then they better raise the quality of life to attract more
people. We elect representatives based on population, we have electoral
votes based on population, so why not state aid based on population? It
is time that state and local government stepped up and took some
responsibility and removed the burden on the Federal government. We
need to shrink it. I'd bet if, for example, the State of Texas was
footing the bill instead of Federal Aid, that those barrier islands
wouldn't be rebuilt upon...they'd be greenspace and wildlife reserves.
I think very often, states don't take responsible action because they
know the Federal government will step in and throw the coat down on the
mudhole.

The list goes on but it is
too easy to take the intellectually lazy route and just say "Taxes
are too high."

If Obama wins, they are going up....

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda