homestead - [Homestead] Tax burden perspective

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tax burden perspective
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:21:37 -0700

My perspective on income taxes has always been that if my income tax load was high that meant my income was high and I was happy about that. We are in control of our tax load; as homesteaders we all have the opportunity to live on modest income that incurs little or no income tax burden. If most people acted thusly the income tax would be abolished.

But, truth be told, we Americans have a very low income tax bite:

"For a family with one wage-earner and two children, only Iceland and Ireland have a lower income tax burden than the U.S., according to the most recent data for 2005.

"At the top, Sweden, Turkey, France and Poland impose the biggest tax burdens on families, but in most of those countries families get added social services, such as secure pensions and health care.

"Citizens in these other countries are paying more money, but they are getting more back, in terms of social programs, said Christopher Heady, head of tax policy for the Paris-based think tank Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, or OECD. Its a choice the electorate makes."

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Taxes/P148855.asp