homestead - Re: [Homestead] NAIS, APHIS Over 50% Preemises registerd in 13 states & Customss / APHIS

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] NAIS, APHIS Over 50% Preemises registerd in 13 states & Customss / APHIS
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:46:45 -0800

Ah, it is *supposed* to be dead. Congress told them to quit but they traditionally don't listen to anyone and they just keep on keeping on!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <eureka AT hctc.net>

Bob, you are right, I try to stay out of political talk in
general as I'm on the list to glean homesteading
knowledge.

From a food standpoint, and an egg farmer, I'm very aware
of NAIS and how it's pushing small farmers around. But my
understanding of APHIS is limited, from my friend in plant
pathology research, not my field. Maybe I'm naive, and
only looking at botanical proctection from the sense of
keeping plant disease and insects out of the country. I
suppose Homeland Security could involve the feeding of
people, but then that should require agronomists.

I see all of this largely driven by corporate greed of the
Monsantos who have undoubtedly benefitted from NAIS and
eight years of Bush politics. The last I'd heard the NAIS
thing was dead. What happened?