homestead - Re: [Homestead] Snow

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Snow
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:10:36 -0400

> And 'suh' is the Scarlet O'Hara accent that occurs in a narrow band along
> the coast of SC and Georgia. It is not the way anyone in NC talks.

Some speak a foreign language here. The mountain folk speak as if they have
a fist in their mouth. I bought propane yesterday and the attendant tried
to strike up a conversation and I could barely understand him. My son says
that he is getting better at it but sometimes has real problems
understanding them.

My son speaks Spanish from his years in California. He is one of the few in
an area with an increasing Spanish peaking population. They gravitate to
what ever store he is in and he is trying to get the company to hire more
Spanish speakers.

Don Bowen KI6DIU