homestead - Re: [Homestead] Old books

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Old books
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:40:29 -0600

Yeah, I couldn't find it either after I sent the link. Maybe they traded the arm chair collection for something else, or just don't list everything. But you get an inkling of the scope of things that are there from browsing the site.

You mentioned your interesting western ephemera--they are likely to have a room full of anything unique along with an associate librarian dedicated to managing it who majored in Russian language and has worn the same brown sweater for 30 years, or a punky blond youth who excersises his right to wear dresses to work that you will years later end up seeing playing a bad guy in a movie.

The stacks were a place you did not travel without a map, as most of the doors only opened one way and then locked behind you. If you made a mistake, you could end up locked in some room until someone noticed you missing. Each room was a different environment, some as you may have read are entire recreations of author's studies. The room of armchairs was like being in somebody's attic. It was a very Harry Potterish experience.

Just don't know how they ended up hiring someone as normal as me ;-)

--S

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:56:34 -0700 (PDT)