homestead - Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:38:50 -0400

> I've gone through periods of thinking collecting books is
> folly. But when it comes down to it, I love ideas and
> keeping the books allows me to revisit ideas. I could more
> easily live without access to people than I could ideas.

I have a boundless curiosity and love to read. I always want to know the
why and wherefore of things so I have books all over the place. I have
books on industrial agricultural history, how to build many things, books on
general history, books on economics, the list goes on and very few are
fiction.

An example is the current economic situation. During the early Bush years I
realized that I had a lot of opinions on economics but really knew very
little do decided to learn. I have taught myself enough to realize I still
need to learn but enough to realize just how wrong headed our current
economic policies are.

> I've often thought an aclove for books run around the
> entire house under the ceiling would be a handy way to
> store a large collection without having to dedicate a room
> to shelving a collection.

If I ever build a house it will have an Inglenook surrounded by books and an
office with a small desk and walls of book shelves. Around the tops of the
walls I will put a catwalk just for the cats.

Don Bowen KI6DIU