homestead - Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:46:02 -0400

> A T1 is usually fiber optic. NIST (National Institutes for Science and
> Technology) runs a campus of 3000 scientists off a T1. It's fast. > A T1
is usually fiber optic. NIST (National Institutes for Science and
> Technology) runs a campus of 3000 scientists off a T1. It's fast.

It has been a while since I delt with these things so some of the numbers
and terminology are long gone.

T1 and T3 are high bandwidth links usually provided by the phone company.
They can be wires or fiber. T3 has more bandwidth and more than likely the
above 3000 users are off a T3. T1 and T3 lines can be either data or voice.

Stepping back, Frame Relay was 64 Kbs, ISDN was 128 to 256. DSL is 384 on
up.

Don Bowen KI6DIU