homestead - Re: [Homestead] Lloyd Kahn's latest

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Lloyd Kahn's latest
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:48:52 -0700 (PDT)

You are so right gene, I have many family members that are owner builders.
The problem , many times, is building inspectors stomp on creative ideas. I
know they are there to make sure the habitat is sturdy and safe, but they
tend to bind you to ways of which they are familiar.

Why do you think, even in expensive neighborhoods, so many houses look alike.
To me anymore, most neighborhoods, regardless of price, are "ticky, tacky
houses" (I forget the name of the song). In rural and off-the-beaten-path
areas, sometimes you can be more expressive. I much prefer the look of an
old farmhouse, to the look of houses in modern surburbia.

A house should first and foremost fulfill its primary function --shelter.
After that, then individualism, climate, inexpensive material, etc, should
all be things to consider .....bobford