homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dorpers, was Hatin' (Sarah) Palin

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dorpers, was Hatin' (Sarah) Palin
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:59:58 -0800

But . . . . they are such a pain in the patooty to keep up. AND shearing a Correidale is such a PETA. AND, there is really no market for wool anymore (thank you New Zealand and Australia <g>).

Dorpers are pretty good sized. They are beefier than the other hair breeds.

That said, when the kidlets first showed sheep, we bought lambs up outside of Jenner from a rancher that raised wool. He bred all his Columbian ewes to Suffolk and Hampshire rams. We could buy January and February lambs and have no problem making weight for the June fairs! The lambs were nice and long in the loin, nice flat topline and had a lot of twist to the thigh. Those lambs finished at an easy 165 pounds!

However, again, at least to me, the woolie breeds are inclined to be more toward the mutton end of the taste scale and I prefer my lamb on the milder end of the spectrum.

But, if you like the look of the Corriedales, then buy them. You'll probably be able to find a local spinner that would pay for the shearing and you'd have your lamb to eat.

Of course, you have to take into consideration that you generally are only getting, at most, 50% on woolie breeds. You'll get 67% on St. Croix and around 59% or higher on Dorpers.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

I'd like to get a little more size out of my wethers. Do you have any
idea if they work drastically differently?

I will confess that I really want some Corriedales...(hangs head and
confesses)...just because they are pretty.