homestead - Re: [Homestead] post election night mayhem

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] post election night mayhem
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:18:01 -0400

> The
> incessant noise drove me inside a few days ago.

IT is easy to forget the intrusions of the outside world when you are deep
in the Ozarks. The occasional helicopter or airplane further highlights the
silence. A silence broken only by the water flowing by in nearby Hurricane
Creek, Deer in the woods giving warnings, insects chirping out mating
signals in that billions of years old symphony, birds in the trees singing
to add to the symphony. The world needs those sounds to cover the raucous
sounds of machines and machine made music.

It is not bad where I am in West Asheville. I have not heard a helicopter
but at the same token traffic on the nearby street drowns out bird cries.
The mountain music on WNCW does partially make up for it but I really miss
the solitude of the Missouri Ozarks and I am not looking forward to Southern
California.

Don Bowen KI6DIU