homestead - Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 15:42:13 -0400

eureka AT hctc.net wrote:

Yes, the slugs (big 4" garden variety slugs) showed up in my kitchen during the rain *before* we knew it would rain enough to cause a flood. During these two floods the river rose 47 feet above it's normal depth quite suddenly (about an hour or so). An old timer told me he watches for snails crawling up the side of his barn. When we are having a flood, the locals say "the river is coming down" (not up) because it's always like a wall of water coming down like a bowling ball through the canyon carrying trees, livestock, cabins, cars. I am half a mile from the river but suddenly had river front property with a class V rapid in front of my driveway on these occasions. How could these slow little beings know to seek safety so early?

There's a whole lot of wisdom out there if we could reconnect with it. What Buhner is doing with plants could be applied to all living things: Listen and they will teach us.

Ground vibration?
I hope Sage, that you have high ground nearby and could get up out of the way of the water.

Bev