homestead - Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:27:55 -0400

And, here's another clue that it is a gall/wasp
I am overrun in these argiope spiders
http://www.aphotofauna.com/Wasp%20Spider26-08-04.jpg
There's a spider every 10 feet or so, just of that species. It makes perfect sense that there could be that many wasps..

Bev, who dislikes spiders

EarthNSky wrote:
I'm like you, I want to know things. I want to know every plant, tree, insect, gall, whatever, that is part of my world here. Even with the internet and Google, I haven't been able to find a picture of my gall. That is indicative of some serious biodiversity. I may be looking at some indigenous localized wasp species or maybe there is something unique about my soil that causes the tree to make a different kind of gall. I cut it open, and inside I can see pulpy striations like the striations you see on a larger scale in the apple oak gall.
Anyway, you never know when or how such knowledge might be useful.