homestead - [Homestead] Fire

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Fire
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:54:31 -0400

As I go through old posts, I am kind of getting back to the basics of certain skills. I was reading a page about fire and making fire, and I realized that I need to do that. I have tried before, but resorted to flint and steel. I think I need to learn to do it either with my glasses or with a bow drill. Of course, we all know how useful fire is, but look at this list:
http://www.primitiveways.com/uses_of_fire.html
This site, btw, has some pretty good, basic stuff
It is a good reminder that we need to rely on just materials at hand, because it _is_ so important to survival. I'll be making a hearth board and drill tomorrow.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan