homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fire

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fire
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:20:30 -0700

At 10/15/2008 08:54 PM,EarthNSky wrote:
As I go through old posts, I am kind of getting back to the basics of
certain skills. I was reading a page about fire and making fire, and I
realized that I need to do that. I have tried before, but resorted to
flint and steel. I think I need to learn to do it either with my
glasses or with a bow drill. Of course, we all know how useful fire is,
but look at this list:
http://www.primitiveways.com/uses_of_fire.html
This site, btw, has some pretty good, basic stuff
It is a good reminder that we need to rely on just materials at hand,
because it _is_ so important to survival. I'll be making a hearth board
and drill tomorrow.

Ever seen a fire piston used?
http://www.primitiveways.com/fire_piston.html

Rob