homestead - Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 12:11:56 -0500

Here's an article on how grasshoppers are being used as climate change scouts:
http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/grasshoppers-are-recruited-climate-change-scouts

That's one interesting looking grasshopper you've got! We don't have anything like that here. I did photograph a beautiful rainbow grasshopper in New Mexico once. Maybe there is some kind of micro climate difference between you and the folks on the other side of the loop?

Yes, the slugs (big 4" garden variety slugs) showed up in my kitchen during the rain *before* we knew it would rain enough to cause a flood. During these two floods the river rose 47 feet above it's normal depth quite suddenly (about an hour or so). An old timer told me he watches for snails crawling up the side of his barn. When we are having a flood, the locals say "the river is coming down" (not up) because it's always like a wall of water coming down like a bowling ball through the canyon carrying trees, livestock, cabins, cars. I am half a mile from the river but suddenly had river front property with a class V rapid in front of my driveway on these occasions. How could these slow little beings know to seek safety so early?

There's a whole lot of wisdom out there if we could reconnect with it. What Buhner is doing with plants could be applied to all living things: Listen and they will teach us.

--Sage

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 12:30:04 -0400