homestead - Re: [Homestead] Another Chemistry Question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Another Chemistry Question
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:09:23 EDT

> >Oops, just read your post James. I'm still wary of eating
> off plastics in general and have been replacing food

I generally don't like them either but I try to keep savvy of the chemistry
involved and what the real, if any, danger is. I think glass containers are
one of the great inventions of mankind. A beer, theoretically otherwise
identical, just isn't the same in a metal can and a glass bottle. They have
rounded
up all those people who wanted to put beer in plastic bottles and shot them,
have they not?

One of the local hardware stores will order any sort of jar from Ball or Kerr
one desires and so we have a large collection of 1/2 gallon Mason jars, and
also gallon, two gallon, and five gallon glass jars from deli's and
restaurants
that we use for food storage. I can't give a logical or chemical explanation
but it just feels better having the food (dried and such) in glass.

James<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening
at your
destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>