homestead - Re: [Homestead] Another Chemistry Question

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Another Chemistry Question
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:00:13 -0500

Thanks, James. I will try this. We don't have a lot of freezer space so keeping grain indefinitely in there is out of the question. We can manage this. Also Lynda had a good suggestion, too.--Sage

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:16:21 EDT
Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

>We buy organic grains and sometimes end up with pantry moths or weevils in them while contained in mason jars. I've been told they come in all unfumigated grain and the only way to prevent this is to freeze it. Is this so?

Not only is it so, but you have to freeze it twice. Freeze it very cold for three days. Then let it thaw for three days. Then freeze it for three more days. After that you can store it safely out of the freezer.

Any type of grain, grain product, beans, etc. can have insect eggs or even insects. The first freezing kills all insects at all stages of development and also stimulates any eggs present to hatch when the grain thaws. Then the second freezing kills those.

Herbs in with the grain are a mild deterrent, but, alas, very mild. <BR><BR><BR>
**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try it out (http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>