homestead - Re: [Homestead] Another Chemistry Question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Another Chemistry Question
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:40:11 EDT

> >I think when I was a kid we had "unbreakable" dishes made

Melanine doesn't occur in nature and was first sythesized in the 1830's or
there abouts.

It has been used as a fertilizer and cattle feed. By itself it is not very
toxic, about the same potential for poisoning you as salt (that is, you have
eat a lot of it). Chmeically combined with a variety of things, it is very
toxic. I remember being vaguely aware at one time what common acids and
combined with melamine that made it coagulate (as it were) in the kidneys and
cause
irreversable kidny failure. But if I guessed I'd be sure to get it wrong,
but
it's something like that.

If you combine melamine with formadehyde you get melamine resin which is what
all those dishes are made of. It's completely harmless.

James<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening
at your
destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>