homestead - Re: [Homestead] Another Chemistry Question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Another Chemistry Question
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:16:21 EDT

> >We buy organic grains and sometimes end up with pantry
> moths or weevils in them while contained in mason jars.
> I've been told they come in all unfumigated grain and the
> only way to prevent this is to freeze it. Is this so?

Not only is it so, but you have to freeze it twice. Freeze it very cold for
three days. Then let it thaw for three days. Then freeze it for three more
days. After that you can store it safely out of the freezer.

Any type of grain, grain product, beans, etc. can have insect eggs or even
insects. The first freezing kills all insects at all stages of development
and
also stimulates any eggs present to hatch when the grain thaws. Then the
second freezing kills those.

Herbs in with the grain are a mild deterrent, but, alas, very mild.
<BR><BR><BR>
**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your
destination. Dining,
Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>