homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tool to assist field dressing deer

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tool to assist field dressing deer
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 15:02:54 -0500

We are overrun by the imported Axis deer, which breed all year round. Fortunately our place is high fenced to keep them out of the garden. They have spots and look like adult fawns. They are crowding out the white tails who must compete with them for food, and are in season all the time along with feral hogs. So locals can hunt pretty much year round.

My part of Texas is known for the large number of exotics raised, mostly for 'hunters' (i.e. doctors, lawyers, football players who pay 10K to bag something accustomed to eating corn out of a feeder daily and then mount the heads on their walls). Some of them have escaped and are breeding on their own. There are also ranchers involved in breeding endangered hoofstock like the Scimitar Oryx. It is not unusual to see zebra, camels, elk, black buck antelope, wildebeast, auodad and other African or Aisian stuff around here.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:37:00 -0400