homestead - Re: [Homestead] Elitist bastards

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Elitist bastards
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:19:01 -0800

Finally, someone who gets it. There are folks in my home space who rant and rave about "we've been here since" and then don't get that they aren't from here! The same folks who want to change everything because they know what's best for the area. I don't care if their dad came to log in the 20s or to fish in the 40s and 50s and they were "born" here, they aren't "from" here!

They don't get that they could easily move elsewhere and they wouldn't miss, to the bone and their soul, this place!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

>My one wish, before I die in my chosen state of TN, is to meet someone
from here who will not say to me "you're not from here are you? :)))))

There are many of my imported neighbors I like, espceially the Mexicans. But
none of them will ever be 'from around here'. Some years ago I went do some
ruiral enclave or the other here abouts to look into buying a pottery wheel
from some arteeeest type who was giving up the business. She showed us all and
sundry things she had for sale, all the time describing them in an outlandish
accent and non-monuntain mannerisms.

Finally she said, "Are you from around here too?" Too?? She explained that
she had been here for eleven years and so that made her 'from around here'.
Nope. There are people living here, for instance, descendents of people who
came here in the '50's to work at Tennessee Eastman in Kingsport (referred to
as The Eastman, and pronounced Th'Eastman) who are taken aback a that they are
not considered to be 'from around here'.

"But I was born here!" they protest.

Yes, and if cat has her kittens in the oven, it don't make them biscuits. </HTML>