homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small house idea

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small house idea
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:52:13 -0700 (PDT)

Susan, I've been reading about container construction for years. The problem
is that they are not very usable (except as storage containers)or practical
without major alteration. Once you start altering them, they can become more
expensive than a stick-built house of similar dimensions, very quicky.

I've seen that white one , at the bottom of your article, in a number of
websites, etc. Remember, it is only 8' X 8' X 20', before wahtever
alterations that were down .I will read all of the links in your article,
once I return home, and would be interested in anything else you might find.

In a city like Phoenix, they can be bought from $3500 -5000 depending on
condition and size (you can get slight variations, and you can get longer
ones 40'). In a seaport, they would be even less, expensive. But, in most
towns, zoning laws will not even let you have therm for storage; certainly
not for housing , without alterating them to the point they no longer even
resemble their original purpose. If you transport them to isolated areas
where zoning might not be a problem, the cost to transport them makes them
more expensive.

Thanks for the post .............bobford