homestead - Re: [Homestead] Elitist bastards

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Elitist bastards
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:43:15 EDT

> >James, I sure do agree with you on that! I love visitng ny friends in
> that area, it is like a breath of fresh air. I dearly love living in TN
> but
> really like the way Asheville thinks!

I am too much hewed from the rocks of this place to much appreciate the
nuances of Ashville. It's more like a bad odor than fresh air for me. I've
got a
good friend in Chandler who is from NY (her voice is like nails grating on a
tin roof) who is a very independent woman. Every other single person I know
in
that area and all their wonderful alternative goings on are all supported by
grants.

My estimation of the wonderful, wonderful progressive atmosphere of Asheville
is summed up in a blog post of a Liberation theologist seminary student who
was all excited about going to Asheville (from the midwest) to attend a
conference on 'Tolerance'. As she was coming in on I-40 her car was
paralleled by an
old pickup truck with a small Confederate flag on the antenna. There were
three or four good old boys in the back of the truck and as they briefly
matched
her speed, they raised their beer bottles in salute, then went on. The blog
went on for several paragraphs of rant about how unnerving and disgusting the
encounter was, how we should not tolerate such people in society much less on
the roads, etc. ..... all on her way to a conference on TOLERANCE in
wonderful, wonderful Ashville. </HTML>