homestead - [Homestead] My last broilers

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] My last broilers
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:30:04 -0400

I admit it, I like a broad-breasted broiler. I like that I can raise
them and butcher in 6 to 8 weeks. I like the taste. I like the feed
conversion numbers.

Problem is feed costs. These birds are bred to eat a high protein
broiler feed and won't perform on less. They are not capable of
fending for themselves. Feed is $12 to $16 a bag, and I think that the
$16 a bag feed is better. I have 15 left of the 50. The 50 were eating
a 50# bag every two days at the end. $8 a day.

I didn't even do the math this year. When feed was at $7 a bag, I
figured a little over $1 a pound. Not bad for natural, fresh, clean
meat. But now, it must be over $2. That is still cheap for what people
pay for pastured birds. But I also have to figure cost of the freezer.
I also have to think that the power that runs the freezer may not be
there or affordable.

On the other hand, I've got 3 separate clutches of chicks that hens
raised, one is from June and the little roosters are ready to butcher.
The others are behind them. They didn't cost much to raise. They clean
up after the goats and pigs, eat pasture and bugs and a little feed.
Most of my birds are a White Rock/Rhode Island Red/Marans/Buff
Orpington mix. I may try some Delawares or pure Rocks.

By eating heritage birds, I can butcher a few here and there if I
spread out the clutches. My hens seem to be pretty good at that. The
pullets make good replacements or pullets to sell, also. With lots of
replacements, I'm more prone to eat a stewed hen here and there.

Even though I like the cornish cross broilers, I think the heritage
birds taste better. Also, the convenience of butchering twice a year
may be a false convenience. Having a few birds on the foot means less
long butchering sessions.

Growing my own grains was a dream a few years ago. I've always wanted
to do it. It is quickly becoming a necessity.

Rob - Va