homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Animals

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Animals
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 09:31:15 EDT

As always, James, thank you.

In a message dated 10/5/2008 6:26:11 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Clansgian AT wmconnect.com writes:

In a message dated 10/5/2008 8:34:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bunjov AT aol.com
writes:

> > but where in the world would one buy oxen nowadays?

Ox is just another word for 'cow'. Just like with every other animal,
people
get all tied up in the details of breed. But in a pinch really any cow will
do. The tack (yoke) for oxen is much simpler and cheaper than for horses,
mules, or donkeys.

>And

> what would they be needing or doing on a day by day basis? I have no land
> till (well, I do, but I'm not living on it).

Same as any other cow. You train horses to the harness and then anyone can
easily learn to handle them. But with oxen you train the drover and any ox
can
handle it. It's a suble business, but not rocket science. Another
difference is that when you work a horse, you can make up the calories he
expended with
grain, the amount of hay or grass he needs is fixed whether he works much or

little. But with oxen you have to knock off after no later than four hours
of
work and let the oxen graze. Can't just keep feeding them calories.

A furlong is the contraction for a 'furrow long', 660 feet. It is the
disance that a team of oxen can pull a plow before having to 'blow'.

That is, if one keeps a draft animal in their back yard, it will require a
lot of purchansed feed and hay.

>> I just want to go to bed at night knowing that - should The Big One - or
> equivalent - happen, there's something in my driveway that could get me to

> safety, intact, with all necessary supplies and equipment.

The Big One is coming, and no mistake. But it will be a rather gentle
onset.
You should have plenty of time.