homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Animals

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Animals
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 10/5/08, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> Same as any other cow. You train horses to the harness and
> then anyone can
> easily learn to handle them. It's a suble business, but not rocket
> science.

I understand that horses need to be worked a certain amount of time to keep
them in training (don't know if that is an accurate term)? Is there any rule
of thumb how much time would be needed? Daily work? weekly?
I'm thinking of either draft animals or riding? In other words I've heard
that if you can't spend some regular time you probably shouldn't have horses.

>But with oxen you train the drover and any ox can handle it.

Do you mean that oxen don't need any special training? If someone knew what
he was doing, he could take most any bovine and do the job?

Van Dell