homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Animals

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Animals
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 07:35:38 -0500

> So if you wanted to be a sort of Amish Jack Kerouac, it makes much more
> sense to pocure (build, rig, modify) a vehicle specifically for draft
> animals rather than drag around several tons of useless metal

I went to an interesting pioneer show yesterday. They had displays of all
sorts of crafts, antique tractors and engines, mountain men, etc. The owner
of the property likes to build and restore wagons. I watched while they put
a tire on a wheel, see my journal for pictures.

I spent some time speaking with some people and the subject got off on the
Amish. There is an Amish community north west of here near Seymour. There
is a large tool store there, much like Harbor Freight with the same sort and
quality of tools. The Amish frequent the store, there is a hitching post in
front. It was mentioned that many Amish buggies and wagons parked there are
using fiberglass for the bodies and frame for the light weight.

In regards to traveling by horse drawn wagon, US 80 runs through Seymour.
The Amish use the shoulder for their wagons and buggies while. There have
been some horrific accidents as cars doing 70 hit buggies doing under 10.

Don Bowen KI6DIU