homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Animals

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Animals
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 11:14:36 EDT

> > Good luck with the bear, can you keep the goats up?

Gonna have to. After 18 years of keeping goats here, this is the first
serious predator problem we've had. I'm not too put out with the situation.
My
great prize billy goat is unharmed and will remain that way and I still have
the
best and largest milkers. But in the past 5 years or so the herd has been
throwing smaller and smaller weathers. The weather I lost two nights ago was
fully grown but less than half the size of our slaughter weathers in our goat
heyday. I'm looking forward to getting some bigger goatflesh this time and
I've had it with designer goats, it's going to be big, smelly Nubians all the
way
this time.

So I am going to set up a goat corral close to where the attack donkey
sleeps, he's not afraid of the Devil himself, ...... unless in fact he IS the
Devil
himself.

>> In checking the drought map I see our area is still in a serious drought.
> Only other area in red was a spot in TX. Since October is our lowest rain
> month I am concentrating on November to send us some rain.

And you are right, I am blaming quite a bit of the agricultural problems of
the past two years on this thrice cursed drought. What did we do to piss off
the rain gods? It's why the bears are close in and dining on my chevon, they
are as stressed as anyone else.

James </HTML>