homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractors as Investments

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractors as Investments
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:04:27 -0500

> Now I'll be
> competing with doctors and lawyers and bankers and cash-flush
> europeans driving the prices up so they can polish them and park them
> in their designer "barns"?!?!

You will not be competing with investors. What they are looking for are the
very rare early tractors. First serial numbers and very rare options like
high crops are popular. Tractors that are not very practical for day to day
use. Look for some post war and you will be ok.

> But on the subject.... anyone have any opinions or experience with a
> Ferguson TO30 or TO35?

Add the TO and TE 20 to the list. Good tractors. More power than the Ford
9/2/8N and usually cheaper on the used market. All parts are available.
The biggest problem is that some have cracked blocks. Most out there that
will crack have already cracked and have been fixed. If you see one be sure
to get it warm then check the oil for gray.

The downside is the same for any tractor of that era, no live PTO. They
also have weak front ends if you plan to use a loader. Tractors from the
mid 50s and on usually have a live PTO. I recently found out about the Ford
World tractors from the early 60s and they appear to be a good option.

Don Bowen KI6DIU