homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractors as investments

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractors as investments
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:09:46 -0500

> But these tractors, all of them, run on fuel called gasoline or diesel,
> right? Am I missing something? That we're going to have lots of
> (affordable)
> fuel for years to come? Pardon my cynicism. I'm full of it these days.

I was thinking of this recently, it becomes an issue of tools. It you have
to move a 900# round bale, you would be willing to pay $10 a gallon for
gasoline. If you need to cut a winters worth of wood, maybe $10 gasoline in
a chain saw and splitter would be better that tired old bones and muscles
hurting.

We will not run out of gasoline or Diesel fuel. It will be available in out
lifetimes and our kids lifetimes. It will just get more expensive every
year so we will have to make adjustments. Maybe the chainsaw and splitter
could be electric.

Don Bowen KI6DIU