homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractors as investments

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <vdjor AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractors as investments
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:09:34 -0500

> I'm going to have to check with him but I'm sure one of my Amish friends
> has a bale fork that he can pull with horses... or am I imagining things?

That would be interesting to see. Do they roll them or have something like
a spike on a gasoline powered three point fore cart?

As far as horses go, I am like my father, use gasoline as long as possible.
I do not want no stinking horses.

My father grew up farming with horses and when he got his farm it was power
farming all the way. His stories of horse farming were fun to listen to.
His father farmed with horses up until his last day of farming. He bought
tractors only because his sons wanted them and they did increase
productivity. I think he had a Farmall Regular and a 15-30. He also had a
steam engine that worked a threshing machine and a sawmill.

Don Bowen KI6DIU