homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wrong admission

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wrong admission
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:49:12 -0800

Good example was today as youngest was channel surfing. She flicked through something on MTV called Busted. Guy/kid (20ish) grabbed a stuffed animal from some boardwalk shop and ran. Thought it was a hoot. Preppy type kid. Got caught. Store owner said he could either pay for the animal or he could go to jail. The guy/kid looked flabbergasted. He asked if the store owner could get away with that. The cops looked at the kid like he was retarded and said well, yes. The kid said, o.k. how much figuring he'd get away with paying $5 or so. The store owner was pissed and said $50. Then the kid really threw a fit. Asking the cop if the store owner didn't have to prove that was how much it was. The cop said, again looking at the kid like he was a TOTAL moron, hope. The kid was indignant and asked, you mean he could say $1000. The cop said yes and then said (by now youngest and I are just about splitting a gut laughing at this guy/kid) "maybe you should give him any ideas. The guy/kid paid up but kept right on complaining saying he didn't think he should have to pay for something that was "just a joke."

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Akka Homestead" <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>

Ray, you, Lynn, and James are all right, AFAIAC.
The only thing I would add is that in addition to 'children have no consequences and parents enable" I would say that there is an atmosphere that 'if you can get away with it, it's okay", that goes for cheating in school, breaking the law(vandalizing, underage drinking, speeding, street racing and such), and it is all overlooked by parents who grew up and said, "I did worse" I call that liberal child rearing. Anything goes. Those kids are now the greedy SOB's who work on Wall Street-short selling what they don't have, who live above their means off their credit cards and default on loans because there is no real consequence anymore, and who are ruining not only our economy, but the morality of our country. They are the million dollar millionaires, and what is crazy is that most of the poverty class wants to be just like them.
I said it a week or so ago, but maybe this crisis will create a paradigm shift in ethics and morality. I doubt it will happen, but it is my hope. Part of me says no bailout...we should just take our lumps, but I am in a position to ride it out better than most as I have good credit, low debt, land, skills, etc. It almost feels mean to say that because I know that if there is no bailout, so many, especially those in cities, will suffer more than they already are.

Akka B, who heard that down in Atlanta, they are allowing electric golf carts on the road in some places.