homestead - Re: [Homestead] White Democrats could cost Obama election

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] White Democrats could cost Obama election
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:13:42 -0500

On Sep 21, 2008, at 12:25 AM, Akka Homestead wrote:

Senile old man?
Aren't you and John McCain the same age? We have been through this over
and over- multiple people have stated common sense objections to Obama.
It seems that perhaps you are the one who is senile?

Others can be the judge of that. Yes, same age. As I have noted, McCain is giving we seventy-two-year-olds a bad name. I understand his forgetfulness and getting names wrong. We need better than that as a leader who represents us to the world.

What does "much more sense of world conditions mean?" Do you think
McCain doesn't know what is happening in the world or that Obama knows
more about what is happening in the world?

Mostly, it is the condition of understanding the modern world and knowing how to advance our interests. McCain, like Bush, thinks of military power before it should be considered. We need more diplomacy and less killing. McCain was trained, endured, and has continued in the mindset of using guns. Obama would choose advisors of more balanced minds and would weigh their advice more wisely, I think.

If the latter, I doubt it.
I'd bet that McCain's security clearance is higher.

He has been in the loop for many decades. He has been privy to much classified information. That information may well be useful, but the world is changing fast and new information is more useful.

I don't intend to vote for McCain, as you should know, but perhaps have
forgotten that at least 4 of us intend to vote 3rd party,,,,but lets say
I would vote for McCain, since apparently that is the only way I can not
be a racist. Here is why...(please remember people that I am not really
going to vote for McCain, this is only a debate, an exercise)

1. Despite the world travels of Sen. Obama, John McCain has more foreign
policy experience. Period. That has nothing to do with race.

Agreed. And his mindset comes from that experience, going back five decades. It is the mindset of the neocons whose mantra is, what good is it to have the world's mightiest military if you don't use it? It is the mindset that led to the Iraq Invasion, which has killed tens, maybe more than a hundred thousand innocent civilians. All unnecessary. Inhumane. Beyond stupid. Do you want more of that? I cannot support that type of foreign policy. McCain would continue the carnage.

2. Despite the freshman senator's ability to make friends and
win people to his side, he doesn't have the market cornered on that
ability, and in fact, McCain has been doing that very thing for far
longer, making friends in BOTH parties. Whether or not he is a
maverick, he has surely stepped up in a bi-partisan manner and put the
country first.

The maverick image has been carefully cultivated. His habit and demeanor has often been characterized as impulsive, reckless, tempestuous, hot tempered. We need someone who is a cool thinker.

McCain is well respected in both parties for that very
reason.

Even in the classic good old boys club, the DC Whorehouse, many Republicans are turning away from him. They have the same reaction as I: we used to think we knew who he was, but, today, who is John McCain and what does he really stand for? We no longer know.

IMO, I have yet to see Obama put anything other than his
political goals first. He has not made too many Republican friends that
I can tell. That has nothing to do with race.

Should either of us choose to take the time we could put together a long list of Republicans who have either expressed admiration for Obama or who have said they will vote for him.