homestead - Re: [Homestead] Got pigs

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Got pigs
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:20:34 -0400

The guineas lay communal nests and then a couple will set. Problems
are that they lay more eggs than two hens can set on, they lay in the
brush where predators eat the eggs ond if they do hatch any, they walk
them to death the day they leave the nest.

Guineas are ferocious protecting the keets from predators, but then
walk them through cold dewy grass, leave them behind if they don't
keep up and loose babies like I've never seen.

Last year when I was building up their numbers, I had only one guinea
hen that raised a brood up. If i want to raise guineas, it's the
incubator or a hen.

Rob - Va