homestead - Re: [Homestead] Republicans appear to be yesterday

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Republicans appear to be yesterday
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:41:53 EDT

> A continuation of the same party holding the White House historically
> finds a continuation of the same philosophy of what the government
> should do.

I think this attibutes more power to the office of President than exists.
For the past six years the Dems have been in control of the HofR and
effectively
in control of the the Senate.

The Democrat controlled Congress has a 9% approval rating. 13% of the people
of this country think the US government blew up the WTC. There are more nut
cases than there are people who approve of Congress.

But taking your premise where it lies, McCain has been so un-Rebpublican like
that he was even courted by the Dems to defect several times. Couple that
with a VP that is still taking heat from her own state party for the
house-cleaning she did there and it hardly adds up to a case of 'four more
years'. What
it adds up to, I will not venture a guess. But 'four more years' is baseless.

> >Power corrupts. If anyone disagrees with my belief that it is prudent
> to vote against any incumbent holder of public office unless they have

I, for one, don't disagree with you. But I don't buy into that delicate
balance else the world falls apart scenario. Oscillating back and forth
between
the two major parties (and it's a small oscillation the two parties being
nearly
identical in MO now of days) serves to do nothing put preserve the status quo
ad infinitum.

I would expect more change in the government with a McCain/Palin presidency
than with an Obama/Biden presidency. Or more property I'd expect a greater
change of change. But none the less I find myself secretly rooting for Obama
much for the same reason I wish they'd 'drill, drill, drill'. Then with oil
rigs stuck in the ground every quarter mile and dotting all coastlines and it
making almost no difference whatever in the price or availablity of gas,
maybe
people would stop squawking about that and realize they need to put their
attention elsewhere.

Like that I'd like to see the liberals and Dems take a shot at it unabatted.
Then when we see that there are no good recipes for 'change the way we are
changing the changes' soup, that that what Giuliani said is true "change is
not
a destination just as hope is not a strategy", that things are the same or
worse under Obama, maybe then we can stop looking for Jesus on a bicycle and
actually address reality.
</HTML>