homestead - Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:02:57 EDT

> I do have to disagree with you a bit, though. I know McCain got a lot of
favors and breaks because of his father and grandfather, but being in the
Navy
is hard-Annapolis is no picnic, and it's not easy to land on a carrier.

I understand your bias in this but my attitude stands unabated. I don't
doubt that Obama rose early, burned midnight oil, wore out some shoe leather
doing
his organizing. Likewise I don't doubt that there is precious little
ass-sitting in the Navy.

But it isn't the same in either case as a real job or a real enterprise. It
goes far beyond the effort factor. A person under a long grant or in a stint
in the Navy has their way made for them, financed for them by the force of
taxes, and unless they screw up in some way they have very good prospects for
staying there for the duration and with the same or better remuneration.

But, let's say, managing a fishing boat you don't know whether you are going
to catch anything, and even if you do you don't know that you can sell it or
for how much. If the boat breaks down, fuel prices go up, insurance is
cancelled, bad weather abounds, you get injured, etc. you bear the brunt of
it alone
and it can be financially devastating. A long time Navy man has faced none
of that that wasn't backed up by someone else's money (taxes). It isn't the
same thing. </HTML>