homestead - Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:15:29 EDT

Father Georges Lematrie, Catholic Priest, proposed the big bang theory as a
part of his vision of creationism. He was also an Einstein expert and
developed the precursor to Hubbles laws. It always amazes me when people
throw up
the Big Bang theory as the alternative they believe to creationism (not that
think you are doing so Don) Christians for the most part don't believe that
God plants every little tree or shrub and has a hands on approach to daily
life. If man is guided in his every decision, then there can be no sin, as
freedom of choice is required. If there is no sin, then there can be no
recriminations for it, no hell etc etc. Nope, even a Christian would believe
that
little tree grew in that spot on it's own.

Drew

In a message dated 9/9/2008 12:36:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
don.bowen AT earthlink.net writes:

> There may be no God, but to believe in nothing requires no imagination-
> mankind's arrogance and feeble brain is what truly belittles the wonders
> of the universe.

Not believing is a god does not mean ones believes in nothing. With out a
mythological being mucking things up, you are free to see the wonder of the
universe and its random events.

Take the big bang theory. What happens in the first few nanoseconds if the
gravitational constant is too low? Everything flies out in the topology of
space and time to recollect and try again. What if the constant is too
high, now nothing really gets moving and it all collapses to start over
again. Then it is a more reasonable figure but other variables are unable
to assist the formation. How many times does it take to make it right? How
many times is it right but very different than the version we have now?

It is a wonder that can be carried on and on. We like this green earth that
we evolved into as it evolved. But what sort of home does the flying
spaghetti monster prefer?

There is a tree not far from where I am sitting now. It is growing on what
appears to be rock shelf with a few inches of dirt. To think a god had to
put that tree there reduces the wonder of the trees own evolution, its
ability to sprout then shove roots down cracks.

The universe is a wonder and to think a god had to build it takes it to the
level of a Southern California strip mall.

Don Bowen KI6DIU